Sunday, October 28, 2007

The heat is on

So I went to a running group on Monday night, and it turns out that one of the other runners was college roommates with my 12th grade English teacher's daughter. A stretch, I know, but see what I mean about New York not being that big a place? Oh, and speaking of running, I ran my 8th road race this morning in Central Park. One to go, and I'll be qualified for next year's marathon!

Erika, Maren and I went to the opera today. Or rather, we went to see an opera a converted bathhouse called the Lyceum in Brooklyn. We visited during the open house weekend earlier in October, and decided to check out an opera in an attempt to broaden our cultural horizons (and they had student discounts, which helps considerably in the broadening of cultural horizons). The show was Beethoven's Fidelio and it had the makings of any great performance: cross-dressers, love triangles, evil rulers and near-deaths, but overall, I don't think opera is for me. Oh and Saturday night, the roomies and I tried out Juniors, which is famously good Brooklyn cheesecake. We're doing our best to try out the Brooklyn landmark establishments.

By the way, the media storm about the intake policy has not died down. On the contrary, as last week there was a city council hearing about the issue. Here's one more article about the homeless prevention programs, from the Gotham Gazette. It blasts the department and it's programs, draws links between our programs and other programs that don't actually exist, and don't use named sources, but it is one point of view, and also gives you some more idea about what my department does. Sorry about the duluge of links in recent weeks. I'm just not used to being part of something that generates press, and I'm interested in all of it!

Tomororow, another workweek begins. Best of luck to us all.

Oh yeah, and they turned the heat on in the building. Guess it's officially cold...

No comments: