Thursday, November 1, 2007

Trick or Treat

Soooooo, sorry I have one more piece of press. Well, I won't promise that, actually. But this op-ed piece from the NYTimes is interesting. I like that it says there are no easy answers, because that's the one thing I've come away with after this first month of work.

Last night was Halloween, and I bought some candy in case we were going to get trick-or-treaters. I'm not sure how that works in New York City with all the apartment buildings, and living in a convent last year certainly didn't give me any insight. Sadly, we didn't get any trick-or-treaters, but I went for a run in neighboring Park Slope and literally had to dodge whole sidewalks full of mini Spidermans and witches. Park Slope is known for its stroller-pushing population anyway, and they were out in full force! It was also cute to see parents and their little kids all sitting on steps of their brownstones waiting to hand out candy.

Oh yes, also this week I went to my first NYC literary event - a reading and book signing of the Storycorps book, Listening is an act of love. I know I've talked about Storycorps before: my friend Grant (whose blog, btw, is listed at right. He's spending a year in Sierra Leon teaching radio and journalism skills) worked there, and I went with two Mercy Center participants last year and made recordings. It's a great program, and at the reading they had people read their own stories that had been published, and there was a not a dry eye in the room. I even got suckered into buying a book, which I've been reading on the train, and thus get off to go to work a little teared up everyday. The book comes out for real on November 9, so look for it in bookstores. And turn to page 277 for Grant's name!

The marathon is drawing near and I'm so excited! And I love the way the whole city gets into it. The subway stations are plastered with a great ad campaign showing scenes from around the city with the slogan, "NYC is my running partner" and picturing various city dwellers in their daily lives handing out water to passing runners. I especially liked this one, with the Hasidic Jews, because that's who I see a lot of in my own neighborhood.

No comments: